View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 12:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Talking Shoes, Shoes, Shoes!!!!

I've had RSD for just over 10 years. It started post surgery, after a right shoulder scope. Entire arm, hand, shoulder, and upper right quadrant of my torso, but within two years had spread to my entire body. Having big feet has always created a shoe struggle. Now add the swelling and sensitivity of the RSD and it was a nightmare for a long time. I have rarely gone out to try on or buy any type of clothing in the last 10 years and have found for variety, consistency and decent EASY return mail process, that QVC has become my friend. I do not watch, but I do shop for clothing and some household helpers there.

I took a risk and tried QVC's shoes department one day when they had a special on RYKA shoes. I found not only up to size 11 but WIDE options as well. Both of these options now very crucial. RYKA makes Slip Ons, which were a necessity for about 8 years, but they also have NEOPRINE shoes, that are amazing because there are NO INSIDE SEEMS!!!! They seriously slide on like butter!

I need to clarify here that RYKA makes shoes for women, BUT, since I'Ve had RSD, Ive had to at times, wear men's clothing and have a pair of men's leather clogs to accommodate my big old swollen feet when I had nothing to wear to my father's funeral. And yes, hey looked awful and pathetic, but none of my beautiful shoes, pre-RSD would have fit on my feet and I could not manage anything with buckles or laces, so I gave one up for the team. I'm sure everyone here has had to suffer a little humiliation to manage their pain. So, given the color selections include Khaki, Navy, & Black, men with a size 9 or smaller foot can find options from RYKA. I would bet too that since I've Ben wearing these for at least 3 years, there might be men's shoe Manufacturers out there also using NEOPRINE. I can vouch for RYKA's and their slip ons having no seams, they are smooth and padded soft, and a HUGE LIFESAVER!!!

Another huge helper for my swollen and icy feet are fleece socks. They tend to be expensive, but last several years, wearing them without shoes, around the house. I have had people on ETSY make them and bought them from a variety of sources. The last two years though I have found them on SIERRA TRADING POST at great prices. They sell a 3 pack in the men's sock department, solid colors, for about $3 a pair!!! I think the brand of the 3 pack is WYOMING WEAR. They are Ridiculously CHEAP, considering most places sell them for about $12 - $15 a pair. Sierra Trading Post sells discounted outdoor wear, their pricing is fairly heavily discounted and if you look around on line, you can easily find discount coupons and they send you more coupons with each order.

Hope these feet solutions are as beneficial to others out there as they have Ben to me.
Sylmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Djhasty (08-24-2013)