View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 11:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MJFF is parsing the research

slapdash -

The Michael J Fox Foundation parses the research. They work in close collaboration with the NIH, and fund the most promising science that will actually help patients. If they don't fund it, it means 1) somebody else has it covered, 2) they don't believe it is worthwhile, or 3) they don't have enough money.

Concerning #3, they actually have a list of the important research that is NOT getting funded because there is not enough money.

MJFF works closely with industry and the government. At the PAN Forum in Wash, DC this year, every single one of the speakers from the NIH mentioned their relationship with MJFF, and this included the head of the new National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, Chris Austin, and Story Landis, Head of the National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

They also work closely with patients. They are doing final work on their Patient Centered Research Tool, that will collect self-reported patient data, which will launch early next year.

I you want a cure, put your money on MJFF. I do. I live on Social Security, and yet think it is important enough for me to donate $25 a month on an automatic, recurring basis to them. I know that doesn't sound like much, but look what Obama was able to do on the backs of thousands of people giving $10 a month.

This is an educated investment. I am lucky to be able to interact with MJFF staff and research scientists in person twice a year at meetings in NYC, and on a continuing basis through email and phone calls throughout the year. I have gone to PAN forums every year they have been held since 2002.

MJFF is in it to win it, and they are smart, tenacious, and well regarded. They fight for us.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anagirl (08-22-2013), Bogusia (08-22-2013), RLSmi (08-23-2013), soccertese (08-22-2013), Tupelo3 (08-22-2013)