View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thank you.I'm also dealing with bilateral dropfoot. severe central canal encroachment was measured at 6.8mm, forgot which level. 1st neurosurgeon I saw listed it as Unspecified idiopathic peripheral neuropathy so he sent me to see a 2nd neurosurgeon and this is what he thinks. Its long.

60 yo man with progressive distal weakness of his legs for about five years. He has had an extensive work-up for polyneuropathy, including a nerve biopsy, without a diagnosis emerging. Nerve conduction data apparently showed axonal neuropathy and the biopsy showed axonal loss without inflammation or vasculopathy. Lumbar MRI shows rather severe, but not catastrophic, canal stenosis at L1-2 and L2-3. The usual -- and some unusual -- lab studies were normal.He has had only slow progression in the last year, but he requires bilateral braces for his foot drop. He also has chronic back pain that worsens with prolonged standing. He does not describe claudication-like symptoms; and prolonged standing does not worsen the weakness or sensory loss in his legs. He had cervical spine surgery in 2001, with good results, and he has some mild residual sensory loss on the ulnar side of the hands, without hand or arm weakness.P.E. shows no weakness of the arms or hands, no atrophy of the hand muscles and only minor loss of appreciation of pin in the 5th fingers bilaterally. Thigh strength and bulk appear to be normal, but there is obvious and weakness of the anterior tibial muscles and both calves. Knee jerks are present, ankle jerks absent, plantar responses absent. Sensory loss to temperature and vibration in a stocking pattern.Impression:1st neurologist did not think that the lumbar stenosis was severe enough to account for the patientss findings. I think we have all seen patients with this degree of stenosis who have no disability, so I understand his caution on this point. I am nevertheless inclined to attribute his syndrome to lumbar stenosis. The normal hand function is a point against polneuropathy, as are the preserved knee jerks. Certainly lumbar stenosis can account for the nerve conduction and biopsy results, via wallerian degneration of nerve fibers.
billygee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote