View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi sadie,

Sorry I was not able to get to you earlier today.... but I just got home from working all day.

By now you have seen the periodontist. What did he say about the health of your gums?

Ideally an oral surgeon would be the one to remove your teeth. Periodontists are also surgeons and they also do extractions.... but not nearly as frequently as oral surgeons. There are some cases when a periodontist would be preferred over an oral surgeon but they are specific cases and not the norm. The choice would be up to you.

All dental surgeons are trained to remove teeth in a manner that is thorough but at the same time cause the least amount of trauma to the bone. Unfortunately not ALL perio or oral surgeons necessarily follow that training :/

Regarding the replacement of this tooth....
It is true that when a tooth is removed, other than a wisdom tooth, the adjacent teeth will shift towards the new opening. The opposing teeth either above or below the extracted tooth will naturally gravitate towards that open space. There are some cases where this movement occurs very slowly or very little. There is no way of telling what the outcome would be.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadie682 View Post
Apologies to everyone for this second post; still trying to figure out how things work on the site, and yesterday posted this question within another post. This is the first place I have received any answers that make sense to me after nine months of suffering with a root canal on a bottom molar, and I am hoping that an extraction will start the healing process. The question now is: who is most qualified to perform this extraction?

I have appointment later today with a periodontist (my dentist wants my gums checked out before he agrees to extraction) who regularly does extractions as part of his practice. The receptionist explained to me that they take extra care because their goal is to make the area as clean as possible so that they can do an implant. (That's ANOTHER question, actually, do I need to have the implant? Dentist seems to believe teeth will shift without it, or top tooth will grow down, or perhaps both with my luck. But I am not convinced yet.)

Anyway, I have little experience with any of this until now. I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago by an oral surgeon, and I suppose I always thought they were the only people who could/should pull teeth. But it did seem reasonable that someone who is preparing the area for an implant might do just as good a job as an oral surgeon. Opinions?
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote