View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Fearfulkid,

No worries.... ask all the questions you want to

During oral surgery in the dental office the IV sedation is a mixture of meds that put the patient into a twilight sleep. You are asleep but not unconscious. There is no intubation (air way tube in the throat) necessary. You feel like you are in a deep sleep, the perception of time goes by extremely quickly and you wake up with no memory of the event. You will not be responsive to questions and you will be very calm and comfortable.... just like you were in a deep relaxed sleep. Your entire body is at rest... not paralyzed, just at rest. You will not gag because you will have no sensation of anything going on. So nothing will bother you.

Some tooth extractions take 15 minutes, some a bit longer... depends on how easy the tooth releases from the bone. The surgeon tries to do it as quickly and safely as possible.

I hope this helps.... please feel free to ask questions

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearfulkid View Post
I'm sorry, i have more questions ....During the procedure (iv sedation), are you fully asleep? Or can you respond to the surgeons questions etc, are your reflexes still functioning? Is it possible to gag for having your mouth open for awhile. Roughly, how long is the surgery for extracting teeth?

I'm so sorry to bombard you guys with questions, but thank you in advance for possible answers.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote