View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 11:56 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mock Rye Bread

I am so happy with this bread! It's a variation of the Honey-Flax bread, I just added a few ingredients. I've made it 3 times now, and it's moist, and tasty, and reminds me of the German onion rye bread I had as a kid. I topped the sandwich buns (made with onion) with chicken salad (chicken, red bell pepper, celery, green onion, shredded carrot, walnuts, mayo, black pepper) and they complemented each other perfectly! YUM!! SO YUM!!

Gluten-Free Mock Rye Bread

1 1/4 C gf flour (see note)
1 C starch (arrowroot, tapioca starch, or any combination of arrowroot, tapioca starch, potato starch or cornstarch – I use just tapioca starch)
1/4 C flaxseed meal
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 package active dry yeast (about 2 tsp)
3/4 tsp salt
1 T caraway seeds
1 T cocoa powder
3 eggs
1 C water or milk-of-choice (coconut, almond, soy, cow, goat, etc. - I usually use coconut milk)
2 T vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 T honey (or sugar)
2 T molasses
2 tsp vinegar
1-2 tsp grated orange peal
1/3 C minced onion or amount to taste – optional (but tastes really really good!)

Combine flours, flax, starch, gum, yeast, salt, caraway, and cocoa.
In large bowl, combine wet ingredients, then add the dry.
Stir with fork or spoon until combined. Batter will be lumpy.
Scrape the sides, and mix for 4-5 minutes, on high if using electric hand mixer (with dough hooks – gets too thick to use the beaters), medium if using countertop mixer.

For loaf:
Pour into greased 9 x 5 pan.
Wet hands slightly with a bit of warm water or oil and gently smooth top of loaf.
Let rise to top of pan (took about 40 minutes, in warmed oven with bowl of hot, almost boiling water – may take up to 80 minutes)

For buns:
Spoon dollops of dough onto cookie sheet (non-stick or greased or lined with parchment paper).
Wet hands slightly with a bit of warm water or oil and gently smooth tops of buns.
Let rise until about doubled in size (took about 40 minutes, in warmed oven with bowl of hot, almost boiling water - may take up to 80 minutes)

Bake at 350 F:
loaf – 40-45 minutes – remove from pan, cool, slice, enjoy
buns – 18-22 minutes – remove from pan, cool, enjoy

Makes 1 loaf or 12-18 buns, depending on size.

This stays moist and tasty (in plastic bag on the counter) for about 4 days. It starts to ferment or something after that.

Notes:
GF flour - sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, brown or white rice flour - or a combination – I think a combination might work a little better?

I have used flour mixtures:
sorghum, amaranth, quinoa
sorghum, amaranth, brown rice
sorghum, amaranth, brown rice, quinoa
sorghum, buckwheat, quinoa
sorghum, brown rice
sorghum, amaranth
amaranth, buckwheat, quinoa
I use the quinoa simply because I have it and don't know what else to do with it. When I run out, I will probably not buy any more. If using quinoa, use no more than 1/8 cup or so. Quinoa seems to be rather bitter-tasting on it's own.

This is a very heavy batter, and did not rise quite as much (this last time) as I thought it should. May want to use a total of 1+1/2 packages yeast (or about 3 tsp).

Last edited by myst; 05-17-2007 at 12:56 PM.
myst is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote