View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 01:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to stifle dissent when I cheer-lead for MJFF. That should never happen to us; we should always be looking in unlit corners and questioning EVERYTHING - and I applaud slapdasch for that.

But I also cannot fail to try to let people know what a comprehensive job MJFF is doing for us, and that it makes me sleep soundly at night. Because I know they GET it - that they are living and breathing this stuff.

I've been on the MJFF Patient Council since its founding, about 4 years ago. It started at 8 members, and has now grown to about 25-30 people. We meet on the phone throughout the year, working on various independent and some group projects; sometimes I meet with staff members when they are in the Seattle area. Twice a year we have 2-day meetings in NYC.

The staff is incredibly talented and devoted; turnover is rare; bringing fresh minds in to steer new projects is common. There is no stagnation. CEO Todd Sherer told me that it is their job to be steps ahead of the current research; to never be playing catch up.

Over the years I've been introduced to Michael J Fox a few times at fundraisers or scientific meetings. Just quick exchanges of greetings. He had never been to one of our meetings until last October, when he surprisingly joined us during an afternoon session. What he said to us was even more surprising, at least for me. He told us to be "disruptive and annoying" as we pushed for a cure. And it took those words coming out of his mouth in a roomful of patients to finally make me understand that he is truly one of us - just way more famous and wealthy. He built an organization that anyone of us would have, given the same resources (his greatest, I believe, is access - to anyone). MJFF has disrupted the way medical research is done. And Michael expects nothing less from all of us. So we must keep questioning and pushing the envelope - especially to keep MJFF on their toes.

But we have to do it in an educated and knowledgeable way. MJFF is covering a lot of the bases; they should be pushed to explain gaps. But they also should be given credit for the work they are doing so well on our behalf. Again, we are lucky to have them on our side. He really is not too good to be true.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bogusia (08-23-2013), soccertese (08-23-2013), Tupelo3 (08-23-2013)