View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 07:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Root Canal Extraction- will a curette be enough?

Hello! I have learned so much from lurking on this board, I wish I had found you 2 years ago when I had my root canal done. I won't bore you with the details of my tooth saga, I am just so sick of being in pain and spending money trying to get this failed root canal to work so I am going to have it extracted on Monday.

I have read a lot on here about having the oral surgeon use a dental burr to debride the bone to make sure the infection site is gone. I called my surgeons office which is 3 hours away, just to make sure he will do this. The receptionist told me that the surgeon will use a "curette" to clean the area after extraction. I asked her if he could use a dental burr going down a millimeter and she put me on hold. She came back about 2 seconds later and told me that the surgeon does NOT do that and will use a curette only because that is sufficient. She then told me not to believe everything I read on the internet because there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I have spent so much money on this tooth and the facial numbness, migrains and jaw pain are honestly ruining my life. I just want to make sure that everything gets done properly so that the pain will stop. Can anyone let me know if the curette will work on its own?

Thank you so much.
Canmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote