View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdolby View Post
My Doctor told me he didn't want me doped up on lortab so he switched me to these medications but truth be told I am more doped up on these pills than I ever was on 2 lortab.
Does anyone have any insight on Neurontin and its long term effects?
Hi Marcus, Welcome.

In my personal opinion, your doctor's statement may heve been more political than medical, having to do with the current environment and the politics of pain. You're definitely not alone in feeling "doped up" on gabapentin (Neurontin) and duloxetine (Cymbalta), and gabapentin is only effective for about 1/3 of PN patients.
Quote:
Around 30% of patients can expect to achieve more than 50% pain relief and a similar number will also experience minor adverse events; the most common of which are somnolence and dizziness.
http://www.eapcnet.eu/LinkClick.aspx...hI%3D&tabid=38
As far as long term effects...
Quote:
The FDA has issued this warning:
"Antiepileptic drugs (AEDs), including Neurontin [gabapentin], increase the risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior in patients taking these drugs for any indication. Patients treated with any AED for any indication should be monitored for the emergence or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts or behavior, and/or any unusual changes in mood or behavior."

The FDA also mentions an "unexpectedly high incidence of pancreatic acinar adenocarcinomas" [cancer] in male rats that received gabapentin. The agency adds the unhelpful caveat that the, "clinical significance of this finding is unknown." In other words, no one knows whether this animal research means that men will be at higher risk for pancreatic cancer. This is not the sort of thing that the FDA requires drug companies to follow up on because the long-term research needed to detect a cancer signal can be quite challenging and expensive.

Gabapentin Side Effects:

• Dizziness, vertigo
• Fatigue and or tiredness
• Unsteadiness or incoordination
• Abnormal thinking, anxiety, hostility, confusion, amnesia,
• Depression, suicidal thoughts, mood changes
• Fluid accumulation in feet, edema of face or extremities
• Digestive distress, indigestion, loss of appetite, gas, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
• Dry mouth, dental problems, gingivitis
• Blurred vision, double vision, unusual eye movements (nystagmus)
• Headache
• Withdrawal seizures (never stop gabapentin suddenly!)
• Blood disorders
• Skin rash (alert your M.D. immediately if this occurs!)
• Upper respiratory tract infections, fever
• High blood pressure
• Palpitations
• Tremor, jerky movements
• Joint pain, joint stiffness, arthritis
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2012/...-side-effects/
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hopeless (08-24-2013)