View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

slapdasch - I agree with you about expanding the scope of research. I don't believe that everything that could be good for us comes in pill form.

The longer I am around the research, the more I don't believe in a one-stop cure. For one thing, we don't even know what PD is (another brazen shout out to MJFF for funding the PPMI biomarkers study, the data from which will put us closer to an understanding). And I am wary of MJFF's ties to Pharma - but that's where the money is.

Sometimes I think the wrong thing is pushing the research - money. We need a lot of it to develop drugs. It's hard for organizations to raise money around better wellness, care, and symptom relief. The system is definitely f***ed up. MJFF has been innovative in their approach, but it has its limitations.

Our problem lies less with those who research on our behalf than with the system within which they work (including the clinical trials system). It's going to take a lot of work to make the necessary changes. And it's way bigger than just PD.

Here's a Forbes article about how patient groups are changing biotech:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewh...nging-biotech/

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (08-24-2013), olsen (08-24-2013), soccertese (08-25-2013)