View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 04:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wow! Where has the time gone?

I guess our big news was our 1 1/2 week trip to Colorado. Three days driving in each direction. Unfortunately, I did not have enough entertainment for Tom, but we managed to survive. He was overwhelmed for a lot of the trip and kept asking to go back to "the room" (hotel room).

I bought a toaster oven for the trip and made bread mix to take with us. (I forgot to *bring* the bread mix <oops!>, but we spent one night in the trendy part of town and they had my specialty flours to make sandwich bread with. Whew!) I had spent enough time in advance planning meals for Tom and I that it all worked out. I was definitely sick of peanut butter sandwiches by the end of the trip, but it all worked out.

As far as the reason for the trip, we saw both sets of folks (Mr. Kay's and mine) and a lot of my cousins and relatives.

We got back home and then Tom started summer school. He missed the first week and a half due to our trip. I'm not sure how productive summer school was this year. He seemed to realize that Claire and Samantha were NOT in school, and the one teacher's aide made comments about his slack attitude. Kind of amusing, actually.

After the trip, Mr. Kay and I discussed that we feel our gluten-free developments are tapering off. Not that we are going back on gluten (actually, Mr. Kay still eats it), but that the burst of development we saw as a result of going gluten-free seems to be slowing down to Tom's normal (slow) developmental pace. Two weeks after this discussion, Tom jumped over one of his stuffed animals. He can jump, but he always jumps straight up and down, and his feet barely leave the ground. So, it's quite nice to see him actually jump over something... and jumping forward. Well, I know you guys understand those "little" milestones our kids work much harder to reach.

We took Tom for his yearly neuro check-up. Our neuro mentioned PDD again. Tom is not anywhere near the "classical autistic kid," but he does have some autistic tendencies. We're going to take him to a behavioral pedicatrician to see if he has any kind of teaching recommendations, whether we need something beyond a non-categorized special ed class with speech therapy and OT on the side.

School starts this Monday (28th). I'm a little worried about the "toileting" issue for Tom. He'll be going all day now, instead of half. I'm praying he'll actually pee in the toilet for them, instead of trying to hold it that long. (And, NO, he can't go that long.) I've been working this week on getting him as independent as possible (lots of chocolate chip bribes). We'll see what happens.

Guess that's it from my end. I'll probably think of a lot more after I post this.
Mom to Samantha (10), Claire (9), and Tom (7). Tom is developmentally delayed with poor vision, lousy fine motor skills and epilepsy. His seizures are pretty well controlled through diet - dairy-free, gluten-free, rice-free, and coconut-free.
RathyKay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote