View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi MessyMark,

I do hope the SCS offers you some pain relief!! I am now 7 weeks post implant of the Medtronic RestoreSensor w/Adaptive Stim. My trial lasted 5 days and honestly, I knew within minutes of the trial placement that I would go forward with the permanent. During the trial my pain went from a 9/10 down to a 4/5 which was amazing! The trial isn't IMO exactly a true test, since you are limited with movements due to the fragility of the leads as they aren't really very secure in the test phase and naturally we tend to limit ourselves during this time. The procedure itself wasn't a big deal compared to other surgeries/procedures I had been through. Just be sure to check the site daily for signs of infection and keep a pillow or another cushion handy to pad yourself when leaning against things. The trial SCS doesn't give you all the programming possibilities that you will have if you do go forward with the permanent - I was pleasantly surprised to have the additional programming once my permanent was installed.

After my trial the permanent was placed about 2 weeks later. I discussed at length the pros/cons of both types of leads. What I was told is that the paddle leads leave you with a more difficult and sometimes impossible surgical revision should one ever become necessary. They explained that it would be much better to risk migration using the standard leads than to start with paddle.. leaving me a plan "B" and "C" should they migrate. My concern was that if the SCS worked as intended that I would get back to the many things I enjoy like snow skiing, running, mt. biking and mountaineering & bow hunting all of which seemed like they could cause early migration. My surgeon said that as long as I allowed 3-4 months of healing that I could return to these activities with standard leads and that the risk for migration is essentially the same anytime you put repetitive stress on them, so I went with the standard type... lol.. I like having a plan "B"!

The recovery for the permanent wasn't a big deal either as far as pain compared to other surgical procedures. My only post op issues were fluid/swelling around the leads and battery for about 4 weeks. This was monitored closely for infection and additional antibiotics were given and eventually this subsided. I have 2 leads placed and they did cause pain in my back at that area of the spine for a good 4-5 weeks. Not grueling pain but, more of an annoyance. I think much of that pain comes from trying so hard to keep our backs straight during the healing process and once I was able to stretch a little more this has mostly gone away. A cushion or some type of padding will be your friend!!

I am so happy for this technology as it allows me to live much more comfortably than without it. I still have breakthrough high pain levels sometimes but, at least I'm not at a 10 all day any longer. I praise God everyday for the benefit of the SCS!!

My only complaint is the issue I am having with the early battery discharge as I am having to charge it daily. Doable sure.. but annoying.

Regarding MRI's with this device: The only MRI that will be allowed will be a HEAD MRI and even so, a certain MRI machine must be used and a specific protocol followed. This wasn't explained to me properly when I was first informed of the ability to have an MRI. They made it sound like any MRI was okay.. this was later explained (after the implant) in more detail and honestly kind of ****** me off. Ask many questions and read your precautions thoroughly before making your decision.

I do hope it works well for your pain!!
Tessa
zookester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hannabananna (08-26-2013), MessyMark (08-26-2013), Rrae (09-03-2013)