View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hi,

I've tried magnesium (in the pidolate form, which is not available in the US). It seemed to help sometimes, not others. I honestly had to chalk up the "helpful" times to coincidence. It is possible I might not have taken enough to make a difference, however.

If you're going to try magnesium, make sure you get one which is readily absorbed by the body: Natural Calm is a good option -- when mixed with *hot* water, it produces an aqueous solution of magnesium citrate; this is one of the most absorbable forms. Bear in mind, the body needs B-complex as well as vitamins E and C in adequate supply in order to use magnesium properly.

As far as vitamin B2, I'd suggest you get a balanced B-complex rather than just B2, because the Bs all work together. Check the fine-printed list of ingredients and the %daily intake column to verify this -- do not rely on the product name. I'd avoid those B-50 and B-100 combinations. Those names are misleading because the individual constituents are not balanced in relation to one another, nor in relation to the recommended daily intake.

I take a balanced B-complex and I still have migraines. I recently had a sharp increase in frequency that roughly coincided with a period of stopping my supplements but there might have been other causes for the increase (like the wacky weather we had). Our B requirements also go up when we are under stress, and as you surely know, stress can increase migraine incidence. So taking a B supplement is worth trying, especially if you think you might not be getting enough of some B's, or if you are under stress.

I have no personal experience with melatonin. This abstract talks about its potential in headache treatment:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16548786

Good luck!

waves
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BadWolf (09-02-2013)