View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Heart Hi Steve -- don't worry!

Steve,

I studied this stuff back in Chem -- I know it is powerful. We don't use huge amounts though, and we do use lots of water. Fwiw, it is sold as drain cleaner here and comes with complete directions.

Also, we don't let the drains get completely clogged ... we clear them when they start running too slowly. This is much safer because everything goes down, it does not sit there gurgling and spitting back lots of fumes from the drain... The fumes are not strong, nor abundant, or we would not even use it.

I suspect the "fumes" in our case are mostly plain sodium hydroxide vapor, as it is an ionic solution (in water, the sodium ions and the hydroxide ions are pulled apart). Once it interacts with organic material the resulting compounds are 1) much heavier 2) in a less energetic state, and thus far less likely to be vaporized or even carried by vapor. I could see the the production of a mushroom-cloud as you suggest, by sheer physical propulsion of various substances out of a drain that were completely obstructed. I think the likelihood of this is greatly lessened when the drain does run to start with -- and is rapidly cleared. I run hot water the entire time.

Sodium hydroxide fumes are toxic -- it is true. They should not be inhaled, true. The concern however depends on the quantity, concentration, and length of exposure. Not a lot of vapor is produced, but ventilation is a MUST nonetheless. I usually turn the vent on before I start, then leave immediately, closing the door behind me. The actual vapor-producing part takes only a few seconds, so that is how long I am exposed.

I do wear gloves the entire time I handle this substance even before water gets involved. I do not touch the dry stuff because our skin is always very slightly damp -- enough to dissolve it, and activate it. Household gloves are enough protection... if I got splashed, I'd rinse them immediately so they don't get eaten through. Splashing is highly unlikely because, as I said, we never wait until the drain is completely clogged.

I understand your concern... I'd love a gas mask for when we use some noxious product in the house that triggers my cough... ironically, the products that do that are not particularly dangerous. As far as the sodium hydroxide goes, as long as I use the vent, using it on the drain is not problematic. In the incident I had, I forgot to turn on the vent. When that happens, it is a pain, but it can be dealt with.

Don't worry. I am very careful.

--------------------

A little tidbit for you: did you know that sodium hydroxide is used in some cosmetic hair removal creams?: LOL. It burns hair off but not skin. The trick is in the concentration.

waves
"Thanks for this!" says:
bizi (08-26-2013), Brokenfriend (08-26-2013), Dmom3005 (08-26-2013), Mari (08-26-2013)