View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 03:11 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Shocked

I began taking Lyrica about 6 weeks ago due to an IV nerve tear in my arm for breast cancer surgery. I was put on 50mg twice a day. It seemed to help a bit with the pain, so two weeks later, my dosage was increased to 100mg twice a day. At this time I began to feel a type of depression creeping in, but I didn't link it to anything.

After another 3 weeks, the Lyrica was increased to 150mg twice a day. I was on this dosage (along with Methadone 10mg once a day) for about a week when my world caved in. About a week ago I woke up in a complete panic attack, cold sweats, uncontrolled shaking and thoughts of suicide. I was so distraught. I begged my husband to help me. I had to go to get my radiation treatment every day and so we went.
My nurse asked me what was wrong. I burst into tears and told her that I was going out of my mind. After talking with my radiology oncologist, we suspected that it was possibly from the Lyrica. I called my neurologist and we got in right away. He took me off of it cold turkey and sent me home with a prescription for Gabapentin. He said I could take it or not take it. He said if I just wanted to try to manage the pain with the Methadone, then it was up to me. There was no discussion of tapering off the Lyrica.
I went home and researched Gabapentin and saw that the side effects could be the same.
That was last Tuesday. It has been 7 days of hell. I have gone through withdrawal symptoms like in the movies. I just lay in bed and sweat and freeze and convulse. I have no logic of peace at all. It feels like the greatest, darkest doom. I walk in circles and can't form sentences at times. I have violent nightmares. I have dry mouth and racing heart. My husband was so distraught that he called the neurologist 4 days into the withdrawals and they gave me .05 Xanax. It has helped. I have slept through two nights for about 8 hours (the hot and cold sweats are still happening though) and then when I wake up, the panic starts again. The only thing holding me together is the Xanax, but I don't want to be on ANY drugs! The fact that I am able to type this message is a miracle.
I am a hairstylist and have had to cancel my clients day by day as I cannot deal with life. ( I was supposed to go back to work the end of July, but the nerve pain became a problem. Now I have this too!

I am so scared these withdrawal symptoms are not going to get better. I keep praying that since I was only on Lyrica for 5 weeks, that the withdrawal can't last too much longer right?????? I am going to try Reiki and also acupuncture. I am juicing and trying to go for walks when the panic starts. I am getting all of my doctors involved, so they know what I am going through. I hope any of this helps someone else. Thank you for listening and God bless all of us.
hairstylist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote