View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 07:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

CRmak, I'm not sure why doctors are slow to make a Dx, but I'm sure part of the reason is they want to give you the correct diagnosis and treatment. There are diseases like MS that can mimic some of the symptoms of MG and may even slightly respond to Mestinon. If a doctor fails to diagnose MS, thats one of those conditions that once functionality is lost over time it usually doesn't come back, they want to make sure they are targeting the right thing.

Also doctors are under the malpractice lawsuit gun all of the time, unfortunately that is a reality they have to deal with for better or worse.

With certain conditions like MG it's a hard diagnosis to make and I believe it's under diagnosed. It's one of those conditions that is not always diagnosed with a blood test or muscle function test and even the blood tests are a hit and miss thing with false positives and negatives.

From what it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety about this and your doctor may or may not be treating this the best. I am a firm believer of a second or third opinion. Remember it's your life and health that's at risk, for the doctor your just another patient. I would recommend getting another opinion, I know it's a pain, but it's your health and well being that you are protecting.

Recently I took the step of addressing depression and anxiety that for the most part was brought on by the whole MG issue. I am amazed how much a simple medication (Wellbutrin) has helped my anxiety level and my overall outlook in how I deal with all of these issues. I am new to MG as well, I was diagnosed in April. A I read your post I can feel the anxiety, certainly if you haven't already and feel you want to ask your primary care doc about a trial of an antidepressant that also helps anxiety. I fought it for years actually but am glad I finally made decision, it helps a lot.

Take care ... Best of wishes

Joe
joefnh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
cait24 (08-27-2013)