View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Back Unfortunately

Hello everyone. I suffered a concussion at work on April 2, 2009 and joined this site back then. When my symptoms resolved in September of 2010 I was so relieved. The only symptom that remained was mild tinnitus. Although I haven't followed up because I felt well enough to go on with a near normal life.

My employer in April of 2010 when I filed the official claim for workers comp (form 30C). Within weeks attempted to eliminate my position after 14 years. I knew it was discrimination for filing the claim, as I filed one day short of the one year deadline as I was scared the PCS would never resolve. Good thing I am a Union employee and they saved my job although my hours were cut. This past June, I got into some minor legal issues over domestic issues as I am going through a divorce. No assaults or the like. Case was turned over to family services. Although my old friendly employer who I know still harbors ill will because he wasn't successful in eliminating my job in 2010, is now making an issue of my being taken into custody claiming it is a bad reflection for a public servant to be in the arrest report in the newspaper.

I started searching the web to see if my old work related injury would offer me protection from disciplinary action including termination. I believe the old me never returned and although I was symptom free, my personality had changed in many ways. Ironically, my research cursed me as I suffered another at work concussion on August 14, 2013. I tripped over a broken file cabinet and whacked my head on a wooden book case. I seemed to be not even close to being as injured as I was in 2009 as my mental faculties came back rapidly. I was taken to the local ER, and discharged in a couple hours. Almost exactly one week later I began having a lot of cognitive problems. The headaches and brain fog were there, but I expected that. I didn't expect extreme fatigue, insomnia, forgetting where I parked my vehicle, when getting up at a buffet, I had no recall as to where or what section I was seated at. I was scared. I never took one comp day off from work until today as I feared what my employer may retaliate as he did in 2010. I just was so tired, headaches, confusion, tinnitus, and hadn't slept all night. I needed to see a doctor and just rest my head even if I didn't sleep.

The thought of possibly having to endure another 1.5 years with PCS frightens me. I saw a general practitioner today, and he recommended Benadryl for sleep, and Tylenol for the headaches. I bought some generic Benadryl and will try it tonight as I so long for just one night of restorative sleep.

Sorry for the rant, but has anyone else had a work related concussion and suffered retaliation, or treated nasty? I'm just so tired and overwhelmed right now I even hate to post this. I am just trying to lay all the cards on the table so that in subsequent posts, you understand where I am coming from and what exactly happened.

Thanks a lot!
jemahon4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote