View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Jae,

Some dentists will remove both teeth at once, others prefer not to. One of the reasons to not do it is because of the amount of anesthetic that is needed to remove each tooth. When you remove lower teeth the tongue gets numb on the same side that the tooth is being removed. If you anesthetize both sides of the lower jaw, then the entire tongue will be numb and this can be a problem for some people.

Also, most general dentists are not very experienced at removing wisdom teeth... so they're not going to take on more than they feel they can handle. An oral surgeon may be more inclined to remove both lowers at the same time.... as that is the type of dentistry that he does every day!

Generally the lower wisdom teeth are encased in more bone than the upper wisdom teeth. So removing the lowers can be a bit more difficult to get out.

It is not unusual for the ear to feel numb after the injection for a lower wisdom tooth. The bundles of nerves run differently in every person so you may have some nerves that branch out near your ear. This will most likely go away completely and not be of any concern.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae556 View Post
Went and got the bottom right wisdom tooth removed today (ouchie) getting the left one removed in 2 weeks. I guess they don't normally remove the bottom ones at the same time, if you're just getting it done in the office?

I found this one hurt more then getting the top ones done, why is that Bryanna? Oh and My ear was numb afterwards... my friend told me that was normal but what I want to know is why does it get numb?

Thanks!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote