View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 11:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimking View Post
I went through the same ordeal. It boils down to deep pockets. Most law offices do not have the resources to go up against these for-profit insurance companies but in your case it is obvious that the insurance company needs their collective *** sued. Im my wife's case she did receive short term disability while only one doctor treated her, but when her short term was up and long term was to kick in, that doctor was removed, replaced with another doctor who stated that she was just fine and dandy. She was terminated from her employment because she was crippled from RSD, relieving the large corporation of any responsibility. She did receive SSDI. We went to two firms who stated that, yes they are pulling a fast one but we would need about $75,000 just for it to see the light of day. One other firm stated that my Wife's employer's attorneys would eat them alive. She worked for the largest defense contractor in the world in their Benefits department. It seems you guys have given a good effort to find a law firm. All I can say is either keep searching for a motivated firm who will sue pro bono or for stress reasons, give it up, which is understandable for sure.
Thanks for your reply and input! The odd thing is that they paid for one week of STD...one week?? And they determined this was all I was eligible to receive. I talked to firms all over the place and the only ones that would even think about taking it would charge up front. This is a problem for us because I haven't been paid since I got that check for one week of STD in January. My husband works for the Dept of Defense and has been going thru furloughs, which JUST ended. I am thankful that SSD was approved, especially because we will not have to pay the 10% penalty for taking my 401k money (we put it towards refinacing our house so we could stay here). But I will not begin receiving SSD payments until Oct and there is no backpay.
I had one atty look at my case and he said he couldn't understand their denial and said I should persue the appeal. He couldn't take the case because it is not his area he is actually a litigator on the defense side...his clients are employers and insurance carriers. He referred me to many others, who referred me to many others, and so on. This is how I got to the $4,000 up front guy.
My husband thinks, for stress reasons, we should let it go. I get so stressed out with this whole thing, and well, we know what stress does to someone suffering from RSD/CRPS. In filing another appeal, I am not sure what else could be done...I sent them all the medical records and letters from my primary dr, PM and counselor. They pulled out things from the medical records to help them, not looking at the majority of what most of the records state. I guess that is what they do....I dunno, I hate that they get away with this. And my employer, treated me like total crap at the end. Maybe I should listen to my husband and let it go and close that entire chapter.
Sorry, got to rambling there!
Nanc
Nanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote