View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default A little confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiopathic PN View Post
Hi. My Aic on 2 occasions were borderline and normal. My fasting blood sugar is ALMOST always normal. But my post prandial numbers are high. I have been experimenting my food and monitoring my blood sugar at home but it seems that my sugar goes up with every food I eat. I stopped eating rice and bread. Being a rice and bread eater, this is really difficult but I don't mind doing it. I am eating sweet potato as my substitute.

One time, with the same breakfast and quantity, my BS went down to 65 two hours after. I didn't know the first time i experienced it that the strange weird feelings were symptoms of low BS.

Last Monday, my neighbor took me to a new Vietnamese restaurant and I ate a small bowl of chicken noodle soup. After 1 hour, my BS went up to 197 (the highest recorded number, so far). On the 2nd our, it went down to 132 then 84 on the 3rd. I was surprised because it came back to normal on the 3rd hour. Normally, it takes so long before it comes back to normal range.

My endocrinologist does not seem to take me seriously because of my normal Aic.

My questions are:

1. does the blood sugar of a healthy person goes up to 197 after a heavy carb meal?
2. How long does the blood sugar of a healthy go back to normal range?
3. For case like mine, how often should I take the Aic test?

Is there anything I should do to prevent my condition to get worse? I exercise almost everyday. My parents were not diabetic, no uncles and aunties from both sides who were diabetic, except my sister who has been recently diagnosed to be pre diabetic.

Will appreciate comments.

Mary
Hi Mary,

I am a little confused. You are being followed by an endocrinologist? Are you taking any diabetes meds for pre-diabetes? You never did mention what your A1C's have been. Maybe you have some other threads that I have not read that cover my questions so I apologize if I am not up to speed.

My personal opinion is there is something going on to be causing such volitility to your blood sugar levels. You near 200 post prandial but also drop below 70 at times?

A1C's show the past 2 months. How long have you been tracking your blood sugar levels? How long has your endocrinologist been checking your A1C's?

You may be insulin resistant which is before you become diabetic. Some docs will put a patient on a low dose of Metformin with insulin resistance to ward off becoming diabetic. You are doing the proper things with altering your diet to reduce your carbs and getting exercise. If you are concerned and your doctor is not........ you might want to consider checking your A1C yourself every two months with a home test kit over a 6 month time frame. Bayer puts one out that is pretty accurate. The kit has two tests in it and sells for about $25. One kit would cover you for testing for 4-6 months.

I have used the kit on several occasions. I will test myself and then compare the result with the labs result. They are usually the same. It was off by one decimal once. My home test was 6.1 and the lab was 6.2 Close enough for me to trust the kit.

As long as your A1C is below the American Diabetes guideline of 7.0, most docs consider the diabetic patient to be in control. Of course, this is for a known diabetic. You certainly do not want to be in the 6.0 to 7.0 range and not be monitored closely.

I do not think your "swings" are normal unless you are doing heavy carbs.

Many here might disagree with me but I would seek an explanation for your wide range of BS levels. You may not be diabetic, but you may have some other reason for the variation. I do not know your age and that is a factor. Whether you are pre or post menopausal and if you have any gyn problems is also a factor. Even stress will cause elevated blood sugar levels.

Bottom line........ I would investigate and track your blood sugars. Just my opinion. I recently read my medical records from a few years before I was diagnosed with diabetes and had slightly elevated fasting blood sugars which were never mentioned or followed. It wasn't until I had a very high fasting blood sugar did anyone bother to mention it. My A1C was 10.2 when I was first diagnosed. They only did the A1C after a routine blood draw came back with the very high fasting blood sugar.

I would not "worry" but I do think it is worth a watchful eye if for no other reason but to ease your mind.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote