Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Lightbulb To Adamo, re: gabapentin withdrawal / gradual suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
Four months ago I was diagnosed with Valley Fever. The stress of being very ill and the fear of possible chronic illness cascaded me into an agitated depressed state. I mostly over the Valley Fever (I think?) but I was prescribed Neurontin/Gabapentin for my mental state — now at 2400mg/day for almost a month. Needless to say, this has worsened my depression and made me addicted to the drug. Every time I try to withdraw by 300-400mg the very next day I am in agonizing convulsions: chest pain, panic, double vision, nausea, etc. I am feeling so **** hopeless. I want so desperately off of this drug but my doctor just says take off 400 every few days and you will not experience any withdrawal. He's kidding, right? Is there anyone who can suggest what to do? Am I doomed to 6-10 months of slow withdrawal off this drug just because I have taken it for only a month?! I have all the ReMag. Epsom salts, NeuroEndure, JNK but nothing seems to work. Is it possible to withdraw from this *****? Please help.
Welcome!

Let your doctor know that you have tried his suggestion, and tell him the things you experienced when you you removed 400 mg. He wasn't kidding because that is a fairly reasonable taper schedule but it clearly isn't working for you. There is an alternative...

In the US, gabapentin also comes in 100 mg capsules. If your doctor does not offer these, ask him to prescribe them for taper purposes. I might try taking off 200 mg every few days -- if that is still too steep, go with 100 mg.

Please do not try the cold turkey route from 2400 mg of gabapentin -- that's like begging to have seizures. It isn't worth the risk and there's no need. If you want off of it fast, your doctor will probably want to prescribe another antiseizure medication as a temporary safety measure. But normally, gradual reduction is the preferred route with seizure meds.

Best wishes! Glad the Valley Fever seems to be under control!

waves
waves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote