View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would suggest that your daughter start new hobbies. That is what I have done. I could barely use my hands, but I made myself start new hobbies. I made myself type, work with clay (sculpey clay is a lot of fun and you can make many cool things with it!), bake, etc... It takes me a LONG time to do anything, but it is an accomplishment.

I was grooming dogs for my neighbors (had about 10 dogs I groomed regularly on my own), training/ grooming/ running with my own dog... and then my RSD got really bad and it drove me to search for a doctor who knew what was wrong with me. I haven't groomed any dogs in months, and I can no longer do that. For a while I was so sad that I could no longer do this, as it was my hobby, and I was planning on grooming/ training dogs (starting my own business), but then I was encouraged to try something new. Try doing something other that I could do to some extent. It was then I discovered sculpey clay, researching different topics and my mom has been telling me I should start trying to crochet again. I just have to find new hobbies that I CAN do, and not think about all I CANNOT do, and feel like I am sooooo limited. I am very limited, but I cannot dwell on that. I need to find things that I can do and succeed.

I would encourage your daughter to try a new hobby, or to do something with her horse. Even if it is just brushing him for a few minutes, but still being with her horse, and doing something more "normal". Encourage her to try normal activities. It might have to be slow at first, and only for a few minutes, but it is still something! She can feel that she accomplished something- even if it's small it is still something! We RSDers can feel that we accomplished something by trying something small, and though others see it as small, it is a victory for us!! Even going to the mailbox, getting in the car, walking a few feet unassisted, etc are victories!

I love this quote (I remembered it when I was writing the above sentances): "It is better to try and fail then not to try and succeed."

I hope your daughter can find something to do! Normal activities also help with feeling useful, and not shut up and depressed. I wouldn't suggest allowing her to never leave the house, because she will become really depressed and shut up from the outside world. It is a downward spiral.

I hope I have helped you in some way! Please feel free to PM me! I'd love to talk with you and your daughter!

Keep on encouraging her! A positive spirit beside me at a hard time is such a blessing! I appreciate when people praise me for something I have done and they recognize that it is a victory for me!

Last edited by InHisHands; 05-17-2007 at 05:31 PM.
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote