View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlinFL84 View Post
Well I'm alive, but is that enough?
Hi Owlin. Being alive is certainly a good start, especially considering the alternative!

I don’t see you as being whiney at all; sharing our experience, strength, and hope is why we are here.

Your accident was relatively recent as head injuries go. At my two month mark I was still in the hospital in the neuro-rehab unit. I shared your difficulties with math, to the point where I was shown a 7 + 4 = ? flashcard and I couldn’t figure it out. Three months later my math skills were rated “superior” in a follow up neuropsychological assessment.

The fact that you have improved slightly already is a good sign. Are you currently having any form of therapy for your cognitive deficits? I found occupational and speech therapy very beneficial in this regard. Things I continue to find useful for alleviating the anxiety and “mind chatter” nearly three years later include yoga and mindfulness meditation.

Wishing you a steady recovery. Let us know how things progress, and don’t be reluctant to ask questions; lots of experience can be found here.

Best to you.
What Happened: On November 29, 2010, I was walking across the street and was hit by a light rail commuter train. Result was a severe traumatic brain injury and multiple fractures (skull, pelvis, ribs). Total hospital stay was two months, one in ICU followed by an additional month in neuro-rehab. Upon hospital discharge, neurological testing revealed deficits in short term memory, executive functioning, and spatial recognition.

Today: Neuropsychological examination five months post-accident indicated a return to normal cognitive functioning, and I returned to work approximately 6 months after the accident. I am grateful to be alive and am looking forward to enjoying the rest of my life.
Lightrail11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote