View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
Hi Mary,

I am back. The reason I had previously asked about your age and/or post menopausal was because there is a relationship of PCOS, polycystic ovarian syndrome and metabolic syndrome including insulin resistance. There are a lot of other contributors to blood sugar changes, including high blood pressure, high triglycerides, low HDL cholesterol, stress, arteriosclerosis, fatty liver, PVD, liver disease, certain medications, alcohol, etc. Cushing's and Addison's can alter blood sugar. Possible signs of insulin resistance can be skin tags and acanthoses nigrican, (spelling??) big word for darkened skin.

There is an interesting article about "normal" blood sugars at www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/16422495.php I do not know how to post a link so I hope you can get to it by typing it in. I think you would like reading it. Most blood sugar articles are geared to diabetics.

I did see that hyperthyroidism will cause changes in blood sugar levels and since you said that you had thyroid issues, maybe that is a reason for your swings. I would ask your endocrinologist about it. Maybe that is why he is not concerned about your swings. He surely knows a few thousand tons more than I will ever know.
Hopeless,

My case is hypothyroidism. My endocrinologist didnt seem to relate my blood sugar complaint on my thyroid. The thyroid function is relatively stable. I said "relatively" because sometimes its normal and sometimes its high normal, sometimes its way off. But most of the times, its normal.

Among the causes you mentioned, the possible that i can point at : medications, stress and the PCOS and age. When i was younger, I was diagnosed to have endometriosis (not sure if PCOS and endometriosis are the same - i will google it after i submit this post). I am taking combination of strong antibiotics for a lung infection, and yes a lot of stress because of the PN pain and the uncertainty of my lung infection.

I dont know what to believe now. My pulmo said that my lung infection is stable. But I remember this elevated sugar started around the same time that i was doagnosed with the lung infection. Maybe its just a coincidence.

Im not sure if i mentioned it (my memory is so bad because of the gabapentin) but the endoc called me informing me that my recent AIC was normal. I asked that the report be mailed to me. So now, I should be more vigilang with my home test monitoring.

Your link is very helpful and informative. It was written in a way that easy to understand. I read from top to bottom.

thank you so much for your time.

P.s. After my eye check up today, I ate a Whopper (hamburger) and skip the fries. Unfortunately, I could not be home in time for the 2hr mark test. I tested once i home and it was 114 after 3.5 hours.
Idiopathic PN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote