View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:07 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mary,

I think if you want to see your peak highest level post prandial, you might want to check about 45 minutes after eating to see just how high it gets, and then a second time to see the direction. If I eat something out of the ordinary, I test about 45 minutes to an hour and then again about a half hour later to see if I am climbing or coming back down. I don't do that often, only when I eat something different which is rare. The problem is the only time I usually eat something different is when I eat at someone else's house or in a restaurant and I have to remember to bring my meter with me. That only happens a very few times per year. The reason I test so quickly is because I may have consumed "fast" carbs, rather than "slow" carbs.

Maybe you could send me PM's to keep me posted on how it is going. I would love to keep in touch. I think you have been very smart to keep track of your blood sugars without being diagnosed with a problem. There are a lot of people walking around with pre-diabetes and diabetes and have no idea. Even when people feel fine, have an annual check-up and routine blood work, they usually do not know their lab results. The doc says everything is within normal range and it ends there.

I was at a meeting a few years ago and sat next to a lady that happened to mention that she was diabetic. We actually have the same endocrinologist. She told me that she tests a few times per week and had no idea what her A1C is on any occasion. I was shocked that she did not keep track of her levels. (She also has VERY serious lung conditon and cardiac issues.) She is not well at all.

You may not be pre-diabetic but you have taken the right steps to stay as healthy as possible and correct a potential problem. I applaud you for taking control and keeping a watchful eye on your levels. Again, I would not worry but I would keep track and discuss it with your endocrinologist at your next visit.

Eye doctor today? Glad it was you and not me. I freak out every time I have to go. I had a great opthomologist from childhood until my forties. We actually crossed paths outside of his practice and I became friends with his family. I even babysat for his kids. I ran into his oldest daughter and learned he had passed away. I haven't found anyone I trust near my eyes ever since then. My newest optho and I did not hit it off on the very first visit. I asked my endo for another reference and he asked why I did not like her. I gave her a second chance thinking maybe she was just having a bad day. NOPE, she was even worse the second time. That is a long story which I won't go into tonight but maybe another time. I am thinking I will see one of the other docs in the practice next time because I never want to see her again.

I am really particular with the people (doctors) that I trust with my life, my eyes, etc.

I worked with too many docs and know that just because they made it through med school does not make them good. Their certificates do not say whether they were at the top or the bottom of the class. I also make sure they are board certified. She may be a good optho but we do not get along at all. And if I don't like her, it affects the trust.

There I go again, rambling. It must be my meds. (Smile) Not really but that sounds better than I am just off my rocker.

Hopeless
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote