View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Newly Joined

10 yr Member
Default Finding some who can do the work

Thank you so much Bryanna for your continued presence here and help with this subject. Do you know where I /we can find a professional who knows about bone infection and just treats them. I am again fighting with yet another oral surgeon who refuses to go there. The one person I knew who was able to help and heal me retired...Mostly he was tired of fighting with oral surgeon also. I would any where on the west coast.

[/I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi sadie,

I am in the dental field and can offer you some help here.

Dentists are taught to "save" teeth with root canal procedures. Unfortunately, the term "save" only indicates "retain" ... not cure. And every dentist is very aware of this fact. However, rarely will a dentist go into that explanation with a patient because endodontics is a very lucrative procedure and one that they don't want to give up.... and also dentists know that most people do not want to have their teeth extracted. So the game of endodontics is played until the tooth is so abscessed that there is no alternative.

You mentioned "some additional treatments". Did you have apicoectomies done on either of these teeth??

Without any doubt all root canaled teeth are infected as there is no access to the tiny canals that contain dead nerve tissue. So irrelevant of how many times the tooth is root canaled or apicoed.... these canals will always be diseased. There are many other things that occur in the bone surrounding these infected teeth which cause pain to develop that is often misdiagnosed as some form of neuralgia.

Infected teeth can cause or contribute to various nerve conditions in the jaw bone, some temporary and some permanent. This is one huge reason why infected and/or root canaled teeth should not be "retained" for any length of time. Most dental problems pose little to no symptoms until the problem is severe. So it is never wise to gauge a tooth infection by the limitation of symptoms.

It is without question wise to assume that all root canaled teeth have bacterial problems due to the anatomical structure of the tooth prohibiting access to the countless tiny canals preventing the tooth from being sterilized or curable.

I feel terrible that you had that other tooth root canaled as the original rc tooth was probably the source of your pain. To remove one of them simply means you have not dealt with the problem in its entirety. Unfortunately, you are not alone in this travesty. I wish dentists would inform their patients of the risks of keeping infected teeth.

The decision to remove or not remove these teeth will be yours and you may have to do some searching to find an oral surgeon to do it. You can consult with someone who is a member of the IAOMT organization as these practitioners have a clearer understanding and are more forthright in providing information to their patients.

Bryanna
Sue M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (08-30-2013)