View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mary,

Can I donate some of my "extra" weight to you? I need to get rid of some and you could use some so lets transfer some. I have become so sedentary due to health issues that no matter how much I watch my calories, I do not lose any weight. I am one that definitely believes that weight loss MUST be attacked on BOTH dietary restrictions and exercise. Either one alone does not work.

My WBC is always Above normal as I stay in a constant "inflammatory" state. Years and years. I could donate some of those too.

You have a lot more serious issues to be concerned with than your volatile blood sugars. In your situation, I would not test quite so often. Yes, it does make your fingers sore. The two hour mark??? Well, different foods metabolize at different rates and the two hour mark is not always the best time. It is the one that has most consensus but not necessarily the one that will give YOU the information you need.

If I had your situation, I might test first thing in the morning "fasting" maybe every other day or less. I would test 45 minutes after a FULL meal and repeat at 2 hours later a few times a week. NOT daily unless you see BAD numbers. Example, test after breakfast on Monday, after lunch on Wednesday, and after dinner on Friday or the weekend.

The "snacks" are actually good for your blood sugar as they help to balance it. Diabetics do better with several small meals a day rather than the traditional 3 meals. Diabetics are encouraged to eat healthy snacks.

Are you able to supplement your diet with a nutritional drink like Boost or Ensure? That might help with your attempts to maintain or increase your weight. Boost makes shakes that are designed for diabetics, providing nutrients, without throwing blood sugars into chaos.

Keep snacking and test on occasion. Give your fingers a break. The week before your next appointment, then you could test more frequently to have a lot of good data for your doctor. You are doing more for yourself than most diabetics. Keep up the great work on helping yourself.

With your efforts, you may just avoid joining the group, the diabetic group.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote