View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 04:51 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Mary,

I wish I knew how to quote portions like I see others do. Maybe someday I will learn the ropes here. You said you shoot up to 130 after the nutritional drink. That falls within the NORMAL range for NON-diabetics. It is when you go above 140 that you begin to look at it. Because you are post age 50, I would not worry about anything under 150 unless it is truly fasting. Any food or beverages that result in less than 150 would be of no concern. When you go above 180, that is reason to watch it. Above 200 is time to have a discussion with your doctor regardless of your A1C results.

Blood sugar is a little bit like blood pressure as they are both measured at a single point in time. Both are constantly changing in NORMAL people. The degree of variation is what matters and even then, a drastic change attributal to a specific event is not indicative of diabetes or of hypertension depending on whether we are talking about BS or BP.

When I was in my early 20's and VERY healthy, I had broken a bone and went to the ER. They treated me and then would not let me leave because my blood pressure was sky high. Not really but way above normal. At that time I was NOT hypertensive. It was nothing more than my body's reaction to the pain. Once the pain meds kicked in, my BP immediately went back down to normal.

NORMAL people can have an "odd" blood sugar due to some momentary situation. The body will usually remedy the situation in short order if there is no disease process.

My point is I do not think you should get alarmed with some BS readings unless they are persistently low or high. You should be very proud of yourself for your efforts.
Hopeless is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote