View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 08:39 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Kay, welcome.

Not sure how I/we can help, but we'll sure try.

I've had nerve conduction tests, both lower and upper. I had my first one on my arm in my late twenties (for a condition that resolved on its own). At the time, I didn't understand the test other than knowing the doctor zapped me with electric shocks and it hurt like heck. It exacerbated my symptoms for a few days, and I did have some bad dreams for a short time, but both went away with no lasting (or even longterm) ill effects.

I had my second one on my legs a few years ago as part of a general work-up when I developed peripheral neuropathy. That one was uncomfortable, but only during the test itself—no after effects—and I understood what was going on, why it was necessary, and it was no big deal.

In retrospect, I think the bad experience of the first one was due mainly to my own fear of the unknown (and a doctor who was lousy at communicating ).

There's a lot of info on the web—nerve conduction study—not sure what other info you'd like, but ask away, either here or on the Peripheral Neuropathy forum...

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 09-01-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote