View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb A lesson in pain control / stress management … when will I ever learn??

So... one would think that after almost 10 years with this monster I would know when my pain is getting out of control and to seek immediate help, because I do know that staying ahead of the pain is paramount. The short story is that the ones who said go to the ER, you were right. I know, I know, I’m as stubborn as they come.

I had been suffering for four days. Not only my back but my CRPS II was out of hand as well. I tried and tried to use the drugs I had, but in the end I needed far more than I could do at home. I had a few moments that I thought okay it’s a little better, but then WHAM!

Last night I could no longer take the pain anymore and went to the ER. Given the outrageous pain, and that today was a holiday, and not knowing exactly when I could see my doc, and not sure what he could have done in his office; I went. Kicking and screaming, but I went. I REALLY HATE the ER! BUT, it turned out to be an okay experience after all.

The first doc I saw straight up said "I don’t know what CRPS is". He also said, "you probably know more about it than I do". That was refreshing! I prefer that than trying to BS me. So after explaining my current back situation, and the back surgery that lead to CRPS, what CRPS is, my symptoms, and how all my symptoms were off the charts (back & CRPS) and how I had tried EVERYTHING I could (drugs, Epson baths, rest, etc.), they started to load me up.

They eased me in with valium, then it was a couple of 5/325 Percocet’s, then I requested Zofran, did that, and then it was a shot of dilaudid, followed by more Zofran (did I mention I don’t do these drugs well?) then a shot of toradol to reduce inflammation, and a round of Phenergan; I was feeling MUCH better. Yes, very doped up, but not in pain, and thanks to Zofran and Phenergan I wasn’t going to hurl.

I had done high doses of ibuprofen for so long in the past that my stomach couldn’t take it anymore. That was a year and a half ago, and this was the first time I’ve had any NSAID’s (toradol) since I quit them. Seemed to all work out okay. Does that mean I can take them again?? Ibuprofen was always my drug of choice. 800mg several times a day.

Anywho, came home, rested, and woke up ready to tackle my kitchen (yuck). But after four days I was glad to be out of pain (about 90%) and out of bed. I kind of pushed a little much and could start to feel things getting irritated and had to stop. Got the kitchen clean though (yay)! So like a good CRPS pt. I took more drugs, another Epson salt bath, and am now back to laying down and resting. This laying around ALL day stuff begins to make me nuts!!

After I have thought about all this, I think I know what happened. I was doing pretty good on the CRPS drugs my new doc had me on, but he gave me the max dose of Gabapentin, which tore up my stomach, and 100mg at night of amitriptyline which after time was drying my head out. Like I would wake up and my tongue would be nearly cracking and nose sore and bleeding. Soma nightly, and tramadol PRN.

I started to back off the Gaba, and quit the amitriptyline, and simultaneously all hell was breaking lose with a family issue (not my husband), AND I had been working my buns off physically (pushing myself like crazy), the clouds rolled in (rain was coming), and I started my period. Yep, that was it…. All those things combined, and BAM! I’m down for the count.

I know better with the stressful stuff, and still I have to work at healthy boundaries with extended family. My regular life is stressful enough, and anything extra… well, I just can’t do it. I need to start saying NO more often. I need to remind myself that I have a disease that feeds on stress, be it emotional or physical and I had both going on. Along with a reduction in meds, drastic change in weather, and good ole flo … it was like the perfect storm for both my back and the CRPS.

My next move is to get into the doc ASAP and get the meds worked out, and get my back further looked at. It is still tender, but I am nowhere near the pain I was in.

Thanks for listening! I sometimes post here all this crap going on with me so I will have some kind of record. And bonus, I get great feedback!

Last edited by Vrae; 09-03-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Vrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote