View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 08:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
I'm not going to name names, but there are many Stars out there making money hand over fist, whose only talent is too make us think they have talent.....I's called Style.

Melinda has the voice but little style. Blake has the style..no voice. It's hard to say, in this day and age, who will go farther and who will last.
I can't imagine what your criteria for "style" are if you think Blake has it and Melinda has little. Maybe it's a geographic thing. Are you telling us that Melinda's rendition of "I'm A Woman" last night lacked style?

I'm totally comfortable in predicting that Blake will have no real career, apart from the requisite CD fueled by AI exposure and talk show appearances. IMO, he's another Taylor Hicks, only with 13 year old girls as his fans. His style consists of one or two cheesy spin moves and, of course, his beat-boxing. It takes a lot more than that to make a career in music and entertainment.

Personally, I think Blake looks scared to death. He's not got nearly enough "game" to be on Center Stage, and he knows it. I really think he was hoping to go home last night. The other two are bursting with talent and promise. Some people obviously think Blake is "unique"; in truth, the only reason you don't see anyone else like Blake is that "entertainers" like Blake never reach the point where you would see them perform because they just don't have enough talent to move to the next level. American Idol is the one-in-a million shot to make the huge leap from local curiosity to household name. Because of the voting system, Blake is still there and a fabulous entertainer is not. I mean, did Sanjaya not make it to the Final Six?

The proof will be in the pudding, I guess. I'm really not as emotionally invested in all this as it may seem but it does upset me to read comments like "Jordin is over-confident" (huh????) or "Melinda lacks style" or is "too old". In truth, the title means little. The music industry knows who's promotable and who isn't. So, we'll see who gets promoted post-AI with record company dollars. FWIW, neither Taylor Hicks or Katherine McPhee have been promoted much; Bucky Covington and Chris Daughtry have been doing well commercially, Daughtry in particular (I like Chris Daughtry). Chris' album has been on the charts a long time and is still very near the top. The question is, after the initial success wrought by their exposure on AI, where do they go from here? The way it probably goes is: make another album, give it an initial push and then see if the success of the first album translates into a strong follow-through effort. If not, that's about it. Record companies don't like losses.

I think Melinda will be a huge success. Jordin, too.

(my first time to say: "Vent Over")

rex
kingrex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote