Old 09-05-2013, 06:14 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAKNJOE View Post
Thank you Mrs. D for your knowledge. I feel like I'm a tossed salad these days with everything I've been taking. If I think it's going to help, I'll take it.

I read your other posts and I am so grateful for your wisdom. I'll also read your sticky notes. Is the MTHFR the cause of me not getting the b-12 in my system? The MTHFR C677T polymorphism (C/T). My results also say "has a normal or wild-type genotype for MTHFR A1298C".

Should I forget the shots and just do the Vit B12 sublingually on an empty stomach like you said. Does that sound better for treatment? Should I take a vitamin b complex with it? And what about the methyl-folate? Today will be my fourth day taking, it if I do?

One more thing, what should i do when my anxiety is through the roof? Can I take a Klonopin? I could bear with the anxiety if I thought the deficiency problem was going to go away and I would see significant improvement.

thanks. Kathleen
Long term use of Benzos like Klonopin may cause more PN problems than you think. When that drug wears off, there can be a rush of PN symptoms. This is because the Benzos are mild antiseizure drugs, and suppress pain signals. So those signals will bloom when the drug wears off.

There is a supplement called PharmaGaba made by PharmaGold (I bought mine on Amazon), which is affordable and works nicely but mildly on anxiety. I found for me it doesn't have to be used every day either once your take some for a week or so. I only use one when I need it. This type is better absorbed than other Gaba products. You might look into it.

http://www.nutrigoldinc.com/GABA

It is hard to say about the effects of your specific mutation.
But I do know that the higher your blood levels the more B12 will cross the blood brain barrier and get into the brain. Methyl B12 is used as a cofactor to make melatonin (the sleep hormone) from serotonin there. People with Fibro and MS have been tested and found to have very low B12 levels in the spinal fluid.

Neurological symptoms precede anemia in many people low in B12. It can take a while (several months) to fix damage. If the damage is longstanding, some may be permanent. You will want to take methylfolate too, and when you do-- try to avoid folic acid. Some new papers suggest a competition with both for crossing the blood brain barrier, and mention has been made to avoid folic acid to get the methylfolate to work better.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote