View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Calcified tooth pulp & canals? Abscessed?

I have been following these discussions for some time now. The guidance and gentle persuasion that Bryanna so kindly offers is deserving of a humanitarian aware

I have multiple dental problems but I will try to break my situation into small pieces so as not to overwhelm.

Several months ago, I was referred to an endodontist for assessment of a maxillary first molar. I agonized over the prospect and finally thought of it as a temporary fix; so that the neuromuscular dentist I am seeing could progress with "tensing" and an orthotic to balance my bite. The molar was needed as an anchor for the orthotic teeth. I trusted his judgement and proceeded with the root canal.

The root canal was a tedious procedure taking 5 hours in two sittings because the canals were calcified. I broke out in an intensely itchy and raised rash on my jaw and down my neck on the same side as the root canal. I have multiple other teeth that intermittently ache and other calcified canals, the full extent unknown because they have not all had periapical xrays as yet, and my dentist is not in any hurry to find them it seems. There are no cavities but the pulp of the tooth seems to be the issue.

1. Can you tell me what the best treatment for calcified canals would be? Should they be left alone? Are they abscessed and should they be removed if root canals are declined?

2. I was curious about the rash. The endo had not allowed sufficient time to complete and his next patient was waiting. He went straight to the filling after chipping away at the calcium deposited in the root.

3. I wonder if this tooth will be a problem to remove? The endo was a man of few words but he did say the tooth root was close to the sinus.

I really am not sure about the direction this treatment is going because my dentist is one who believes in "saving" the teeth. A video clip plays in his waiting room with an illustration of how removing teeth can cause the remaining teeth to shift and alter the "bite". I welcome your thoughts and insight.

(Tried hard to be brief. Sorry for the length of this.)
Susie QRS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ginnie (09-06-2013)