View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 08:42 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Thanks for your honesty, Bryanna. I have actually been wondering about how teeth got separated from the rest of our anatomy for a while. I still don't understand why health insurance doesn't cover teeth, as if they are a foreign part of our body. Or why dentists don't have to go med school, then specialize. Like eye doctors or GI doctors. I really don't know if teeth are more complicated than eyes or intestines, maybe they are. But my point is that they are still a part of the human body, and have the ability to affect more than just their tiny enamel-encased square footage.

This one stupid tooth in the back of my mouth has made me sick for almost a year. :/

The more I think about it, the more outraged I can become. But I suppose the unfortunate bottom line is that most doctors don't care about teeth, and most dentists don't care about the rest of us. My first endodontist, when questioned about my gum pain, said, "I don't really know very much about gums." WHAT?!? I tried to imagine my shoulder surgeon saying he didn't know much about necks.

Not sure where the tooth ends, and the person begins. But as person with tooth issues this is a very troubling issue, both personally and politically. I have read many of the questions and problems posted here, and I know how much pain a tooth can cause, and how much damage it can do in a person's whole body. When do we start looking at teeth the same way we look at kidneys and lungs and eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi sadie,

I've been in dentistry for 35 years and worked in many dental practices. For many years I worked in more than one dental practice at a time. Although my schedule was a bit crazy, I actually preferred it because it kept things interesting and diversified.

I am telling you this because in all of my years in dentistry, I have only known and/or worked with maybe a dozen or so dentists who informed their patients directly and honestly about root canaled teeth, jaw bone infections, periodontal disease, mercury fillings, fluoride, etc. Why so few? For some dentists it is literally their lack of comprehension about systemic health as it pertains to the teeth. They think of "systemic" health as a medical issue not a dental one and it's just easier for them to not deal with those issues. These dentists choose to forgo this aspect and treat patients as if their teeth were somehow disconnected to the rest of the body and they will repetitively re treat the same tooth countless times without any hesitation about the ill affects of what they are doing. Other dentists not only payed attention to the brief course that they had on the subject in dental school but took a genuine interest in it and furthered their education in it.... why? .... because they believe they are doctors and not just tooth carpenters. These dentists are not a part of the good ole' boy community of dentists because they go against the tide and delve into being a doctor. This is often shunned upon by the other dentists because they prefer to be known as tooth carpenters, not doctors. So it can be difficult to find a qualified dentist simply because they rarely advertise differently than the norm because they need to be able to stay under the radar and avoid being ostracized or criticized by the big dental corporations.

Of course it is disheartening to me to constantly hear people say....."how come none of these dentists I am seeing are saying I have an infection in my root canaled tooth .....and how come they all tell me to re treat it... and how come they want to do other things to these rc teeth"? But this is the norm, this is unfortunately typical of what people run into every single day and basically all for the reasons that I have given you above.

I cannot tell you that your pain will go away completely if you pull these teeth. At this point you may have other issues going on. The extractions could result in additional problems as they are oral surgery. But at the same time, none of those dentists can honestly tell you that these root canaled teeth are healthy in any way, shape or form and that they are not harboring diseased bacteria. I am sorry they are misleading you and misinforming you... but this is the norm. Just read through any number of posts on this forum from hundreds of people all over the world who have or are experiencing the same BS that you are.

It is up to you to do the research and become your own advocate. Google Dr Mercola and root canals, google Dr George Meinig one of the founders of the Endodontic Society who went against the tide and exposed the truth about root canaled teeth. Read his book.

I have given you all of the information that I can. It is up to you to decide if you think you should hang onto these teeth. I cannot predict the outcome of your dental future if you remove these teeth as there are many contributing factors in the removal, the health of the bone and the replacement options for your particular anatomy. I can only inform you of the path that you are on if you retain them.

I know this is all scary for you.. I feel badly that you are enduring this pain and BS from your dentists.... but only you can search for more knowledge that will help you make the best decision for you. Check out the IAOMT organization for a biological dentist (these dentists generally are better informed and more truthful) along with looking into the other leads of information that I have provided for you.

I do wish you well... I really do.

Bryanna
sadie682 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote