View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 12:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kamie,

Anytime you have a food you suspect of causing an allergic reaction, the first thing you want to do is remove all traces of that food from the diet for 4 - 6 weeks to see if there is improvement.

If there is no improvement and you have been rigid about the food, the food wasn't the cause of the problem.

If there was improvement, you want to "test" the theory to make sure that food was the culprit and not a fluky coincidence.

The only time you wouldn't want to do this would be if the "test" aka trial could cause a life threatening type of reaction.

The way you would perform the trial would be to provide the suspect food "an 8 ounce glass of milk" 3 times a day for 4 days in a row. Don't introduce any other milk product foods during that time, just the milk.

If there is no reaction after 4 days, milk was not the issue. If, however, the reaction returns within the 4 days, you know milk was the issue.

In my case, I didn't make it through the first day without experiencing a reaction when I did my milk trial.

Food trials are a bit on the same philosophy as how we introduce new foods to a young child. You go slow and introduce one at a time for 4 days before going to the next food.
Beck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote