View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I agree Concussion, that most MD's won't know about this research or agree with it for some time. But there are MD's out there who do and there is an organization called the Pituitary Network Association who is on board and trying their hardest to educate MD's about this information, among other latest research in pituitary-related conditions.

I also think that with all of these famous athletes suffering from PCS for years on end, and our nations heros - veterans, that this research is going to reach Dr.'s much sooner than it would otherwise. I believe that this will be accepted and common treatment for PCS within the next ten years.

After my GHD diagnosis, my own Primary Care Physician saw an article about the very subject in the LA Times and she said it made her think of me. If you are aware of this research, you will find it popping up everywhere!

Hopefully, Obamacare will enable more people to receive this treatment and make better options available. Obamacare makes it possible for people to switch HMO's or health plans starting on Jan 1, 2014 without being denied for a
"pre-existing condition". I was so happy to learn of this from my neurologist because that meant if my HMO continued to deny me for treatments and tests as they had done in the past, then I could switch to a PPO and get better care.

Also, many people who have to lose their insurance because they've lost their job due to a TBI can get better insurance through Obamacare then they would have otherwise. I was afraid of this as well and now I can worry less.

If I get better, like fully functioning better again, my intention is to make it my life's work to help change the health care system to better care for TBI survivors and in particular, concussion survivors. Most of the research that's been done and a great deal of the money for research has been allocated to moderate and severe TBI and I agree with a good deal of other advocates that more effort needs to be concentrated towards the concussed.
EsthersDoll is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote