View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 03:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi All,
Thanks for those who had replied to my thread! Due to insurance change recently, i currently don't have a pain doc to work with. However, i had reviewed notes from Dr. Pradeep Chopra, Asst. Professor at Brown Medical School, regarding pre-op, intra-op and post-op suggestions.
For pre-op, start gabapentin or pregabalin 2 weeks before, Minocycline 1 day before and continue for 2 weeks after, Vitamin C 500 one daily-start day before surgery and continue for 45 days after surgery.
For intra-operative, use IV Ketamine as part of anesthesia, apply synera patch or some numbing medicine patch over IV site before insertion of needle, IV must be inserted with minimum trauma, epidural or spinal anesthesia, if lower body surgery,
For post-op, continue low dose IV ketamine in the recovery room for a few hours-very important, continue minocycline, gabapentin/pregabalin, vitamin c and continue epidural anesthesia for pain control, if inserted pre op for at least 24 hours.
I have some questions:
Have any one use the Synera patch, how long you have to put it before numbing takes effects.
What is the difference between epidural and spinal anesthesia?
Will the doc willing to try low dose IV ketamine in the recovery room? What dose is low dose?
How is it possible to request continue epidural anesthesia for pain control for 24 hours? Normally, they would like to discharge patients shortly after the procedure. For 24 hours, is it possible to go home with it?
I would really appreciate your feedback especially for those who had already had surgery experience. We all may encounter surgery in our life. Our goal is to prevent RSD spread or flare if possible.
Numb
numb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote