View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 08:45 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I had to re-start Tecfidera

I felt great on the Starter Dose, but when I hit the full dose I got stomach cramps, heartburn from hell, and all fuzzy. By day four, after what my husband and I call the "Exorcist Hour" I was done.

But after a few days, I remembered how good I felt on the starter dose I wanted to try again. And this is how I did it.

I re-started with 240 mg a day until I felt good. But, to get to that point I did the following:

1. I went on a bland, almost liquid diet. (Toast, tea instead of coffee, potato soup, jello etc.)

2. I ate every two hours whether I was hungry or not.

3. I treated every symptom aggressively for a few days then backed off to see if my body had adjusted. I took diazepam an hour before the pill for the stomach cramps. Benadryl for the itchy flush. Maalox for the heartburn etc.

By day four, I eliminated the Benadryl with no problems. The next day I tried a pill without the diazepam. That worked. I had to take the Maalox for about ten days, (and still need one every now and then.)

4. On day ten, I felt really good, so I started all over again with the almost liquid diet, the diazepam, etc. This time, it only took 3 days to "adjust."

If you think this method will help, give it a try. If you've found something that works for a side effect, please share! For those who feel good on the drug, anything that will help you get past the first couple of weeks is worth it.

And personally, I think if you can't take the starter dose, this is not the drug for your disease. Any other opinions on that?
jfcincy56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ANNagain (09-09-2013), Erika (09-09-2013), KittyLady (09-09-2013), SallyC (09-09-2013)