Thread: Travel
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIT LOVE View Post
If you're far from the airport, it might be worthwhile to stay in a hotel (choose one with a heated pool) the night before.

I suggest pre boarding since you will get repeatedly jostled if you don't.

A down pillow is the best way to go IMO. Put your pillow in your carry on bag and only carry on things that are essential for the flight. Slipper socks, wear layers in case you get chills or too hot, bring a soft throw, meds, healthy snacks with protein, an e-reader or tablet to watch movies to distract you, and headphones ready to go with mellow music if you're sensitive to sound.

Lidoderm patches that are precut or Lidocaine cream are a good idea IMO. I also start a course of steroids a few days before flying which makes recovery time much less--a few days as opposed to several for me (with shorter flights).

DO NOT take sleeping pills like Ambien when flying--it just isn't safe.

As soon as you arrive, take a bath with Epsom salts asap. You could even pack a compress for the plane even.
I agree with all of this. I have flown 6 times in the past year (another two times coming up in a week or so)...all but one of those by myself. The first flight was definitely an adjustment but I think I have it down now. Here are my must-dos.

Pre-boarding is essential for me. When I get to the gate I check in with the airline employee there and ask them to check my walker (I take it all the way to the plane and then use a cane on board) and ask to pre-board because I cannot be bumped or jostled (I have RSD in my left leg AND my whole upper body from the waist to the neck including both arms and hands). They let me on before anyone else. I also am the last to get OFF the plane for the same reason.

I always request a window seat because I am less likely to get bumped. There will be a lot of people moving around the aisles...especially on a long flight like that...so the window seat was a good move.

I use the disposable heat patches you can get at the pharmacy...they are GREAT. They are so light weight and actually do put off a good amount of heat for 8-10 hours. I usually get the "neck" ones for my arms because they wrap around easily.

Lidocaine cream or Lidoderm patches are also great for me in helping with the pain. One tip though...if you use Lidoderm patches...wait until you are past the security checkpoint to put them on. I've heard sometimes they want to test the patch before they will let you through with it.

Be prepared for it to be cool on the plane...I always wear long sleeves and jeans and bring my own blanket. And make sure the air vents above you are turned off if air movements can flare up you pain (the put me through the roof pain wise).

When you first get on board, make sure you have everything you need as close as possible...but in the pouch in front of you for easy access before you have anyone sitting next to you. Trying to move in such a crammed space is very difficult without bumping something.

I have an iPod with my "pain mix" and earbud headphones. I listen to either my mix...which is what I listen to when I have flares and it calms me down...or a nice long book that I can lose myself in during the flight. I have this in the seat with me (usually under my blanket) and put it on as soon as it's allowed.

You will be okay if you plan appropriately and do the things you know you need to do BEFORE the pain gets outrageous.
catra121 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
anon6715 (09-09-2013), Djhasty (09-18-2013)