Thread: L-tyrosine
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

L-tyrosine is the largest component of a neutraceutical called Dopavite, developed with pwps in mind. I have taken Dopavite since soon after dx by datscan in 2003. I seem to have progressed slower than many here and attribute this in part to Dopavite. I got off all meds Sept 09 but I’m now very symptomatic. If you are on l-dopa you need to separate dopavite intake as you would do protein foods.

Other problems i have, which i believe connect to the pd are Vitiligo and idiopathic, at least until now, b12 deficiency.

I recently sent a saliva sample to 23andMe, free test for pwps. I wasn’t esp curious if pd was in my genes. I turned out to be low risk for pd. But I wanted information on mutations relating to methylation, a complex and essential physiological process. See http://www.dramyyasko.com/our-unique...ylation-cycle/

There are two main methylation gene defects, known as mthfr c677t and a1298c and about 50 lesser known, as opposed to less important, methylation related defects. How badly you methylate, and hence how badly you detox, esp your retention of heavy metals, is largely contingent on the combination of these defects you express and whether you are heterozygous or homozygous, carry one or two copies of the defect. It’s a matter of degree. An estimated 40 percent of American caucasions are heterozygous for one mthfr defect, which means their performance is down for processing folic acid into methylfolate necessary to utilise b12, essential for cns health. Furthermore, folic acid may be backing up in their system as a toxin. Many of the so called minor methylation defects are implicated in neurotransmitter pathways, including dopamine. Good l-tyrosine metabolism depends on good methylation as well.

I am heterozygous for A1298C but perhaps worse i have 17 other methylation defects as well.

Note: 23andMe only report the mthfr c677t defect, somewhat obscurely under neural tube defects. But they collect data on the other genes’ carrier status. You can obtain a fuller report by submitting your raw data from 23andMe to an online app at geneticgenie.org - for free or small donation.

More info at mthfr.net and mthfrSupport.com

A1298C is particularly implicated in neuro ailments like pd and pain syndromes involving parasthesias, from which i suffer greatly.

Where do I go from here? I have an appt booked with a doc interested in neutrigenomics and functional medicine. The goal is to work out a protocol of targeted nutritional workarounds to boost methylation pathways and eliminate some roadblocks.
Muireann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lindylanka (09-12-2013), MeAndPD (09-09-2013)