View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
I would say 1-2 weeks [by my experience] before you can start doing basic household tasks. Be careful not of overdo things.
i was never in any pain. this is due to two things:

1. the pain meds make sure you are not in pain (as long as you make sure to always get ahead of it.) Never let it build up before you ask for another. 1-10 point scale. Don't let it get above, say a 4.

2. I think also this is because I was not in much pain going in. Positive attitude helps a lot as well. But if you are in pain now, do not worry, others who were in pain before said there is no reason to be uncomfortable after surgery because of the pain meds.

Everyone is different but I think you should not plan on helping anyone else besides yourself for 5-6 weeks. I am just now (5 weeks post op) using both my arms normally. Not because I couldn't, but because you need it to heal. Also, do not try to do everything with your other hand, because, as my doctor said, you will end up using both muscles in your chest by over-compensating on the one side.

Things are not scary at all post op. But you need time for everything. Plan on taking a lot of time for yourself to sleep, be cranky, be useless. This is crucial to rest and heal. You go through a traumatic experience in mind and body and you need the time. Just let others know they are going to have to do everything. You rest.

Often type A personalities who take on everything get TOS. Some of the healing is going to have to come from you making the effort to be as lazy as you can. That may be hard, hehe. But you have to, I think.

As far as I know, you get strength back right away. But don't use it!
heybro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote