View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Spinal anaesthesia is the same as epidural anaesthesia. The anaesthetic is injected into the epidural space within the spinal column, by needle which goes in between 2 vertebrae. Normally, the anaesthetic is injected in a single dose to provide an effect for a pre-determined period of a few hours. If it is expected that it will need to be "topped" a number of times or if the anaesthetic is going to be required over 24 hours or even several days, a catheter is inserted into the epidural space and is left in place. Then further injections can be made or a continuous pump attached without the need to make several separate injections into the spinal column, each of which carries some risks.

There is a high risk of infection making its way into the epidural space when an epidural (or intrathecal catheter as its known) is left in place for a period of time - it leaves a route to the outside world open - so it is not without increased risks. Epidural anaesthesia normally also means you are incontinent for the duration of the epidural so a urinary catheter and urine collection bag are required. You would not be able ro go home with it. Other arrangements may be required to stimulate and manage bowel motions if the epidural is being left in place for several days.

If I understand your original post, you are having your procedure carried out without an abdominal incision - you said it is being done by hysteroscopy. It sounds identical to a d&c. This means that the likelihood of developing CRPS in that area is reduced. There is normally very little or no pain and just some discomfort with this procedure because there is no incision made either internally or externally. I suspect that the multiple procedures and precautions you have listed are aimed at more "traditional" surgical procedures requiring incisions and the inevitability of cutting pain sensing nerves. I am not in any way trying to minimise the procedure you are having but I think the risks are much lower so you may find that not all of the pre-emptive precautions are needed. There are also always risks associated with these interventions so the pros and cons all need to be weighed up with your doctor - the risks may outweigh the potential benefits.

Hope that helps a bit.
Neurochic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote