View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

My mostly ocular MG has been acting up lately and my vision is unstable. It isn't so bad in the morning except it takes a few minutes for me to get my eyes working well when I wake.

My neuro said the focusing muscles in eyes aren't voluntary and shouldn't be affected by MG but I think I disagree and will discuss again sometime. I have several different vision issues: typical double vision, problems changing from far to near vision and also a bit of double vision even with one eye closed.

The typical double vision is easy to understand. My right and left eyes are pointing in two different directions because the muscles are weak and don't do a good job controlling where my brain tells them to point. Not fun.

The problem changing from far to near seems to be caused by bad eye pointing also. I can have good vision seeing near and double vision seeing far. Its like I get stuck seeing near and can't adjust to seeing far. Closing one eye makes it go away.

I also can have double vision with one eye closed but it's almost like a halo around an object and not as severe as the typical double vision. I think this is a combination of weak eye focusing muscles, being farsighted and ptosis. Say I am trying to see close up but my eye can't adjust and is focused far away. A little change in the position of my eye lid will cause the scene to look more or less blurry and yet I can't control my eyelid position and it changes. This is like stopping down a camera lens that is not in good focus (an 'old school camera'). When an out of focus camera lens is set wide open, the picture is blurry. If the lens is stopped down the picture sharpens. If your eyelid is changing position it's like changing the F number on a camera. Holding my eyelid open causes the vision to stabilize but be blurry. Looking through a little crack in your fingertips is like stopping down a camera and causes the view to sharpen. I'm not sure I said that right, but I hope you get my meaning.

Fortunately, mestinon helps clear my vision pretty well. It's not perfect but I am gr8ful it helps as much as it does.

To Strizzlow: Is it possible your vision could stabilize if you deliberately held your eyelid open wide? I'm not sure if you have ptosis but if you do, seeing what happens with your eyelid wide open might be a useful way to pin down the cause of your wavy vision. Just a thought.
gr8ful is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unsure81 (09-10-2013)