View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi zora,

Your dentist should have informed you of what a fistula was when it first appeared. Living with this infection in your jaw bone for 10 years was not healthy. Thank goodness that tooth is finally out!

It is questionable whether that site is going to be healthy enough to have an implant due to the long standing infection. The OS wants you back in 4 weeks to see if the infection is still present. This site may be questionable regarding a dental implant as the long standing infection has certainly compromised the jaw bone. It is best not to hurry placing an implant in that spot. Let it heal for at least 6 months to make sure the infection is gone and the bone is healthy. Yes, you will have some bone loss but if you rush into doing the implant the risk of implant failure will be pretty high given the circumstances.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora dougherty View Post
HI. I just had a cracked tooth pulled that had a fistula below it for several years. I kept hearing that term fistula at the dentist and he would ask if I had any pain and I said no and that was it. I then looked it up and realized I have an infection in my body (and have had it for more than 10 years) and booked an appt to have the tooth removed (#18)
My options are wide open but I think I am leaning towards an implant. Not because I'm excited about foregoing vacation dollars, but because it seems to be a practical solution to a missing tooth.
Am I missing something? Other than expensive, does anyone see anything wrong with going this route?
Also, the surgeon (not my regular dentist) said there was so much infection so far back that she put me on antibiotics and wants to see me back in 4 weeks. Won't my teeth move? Any advice is truly appreciated. Also, I am brand new to the forum so if I've done something wrong, just tell me!
Zora
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
youngatart (09-10-2013), zora dougherty (09-26-2013)