View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

I did a quick search through this thread, and didn't find any mention of hemp(seed) oil (the LEGAL kind ). I happened to come across mention of it in an article in Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Plunges Into the Universe, so I'm checking it out a bit further... (Non-snickering comments , add'l input welcome)

Quote:
Nutrition
Main article: hemp
About 30–35% of the weight of hempseed is an edible oil that contains about 80% as essential fatty acids (EFAs); i.e., linoleic acid, omega-6 (LA, 55%), alpha-linolenic acid, omega-3 (ALA, 22%), in addition to gamma-linolenic acid, omega-6 (GLA, 1–4%) and stearidonic acid, omega-3 (SDA, 0–2%).

The proportions of linoleic acid and alpha-linolenic acid in one tablespoon per day (15 ml) of hempseed oil easily provides human daily requirements for EFAs. Unlike flaxseed oil, hempseed oil can be used continuously without developing a deficiency or other imbalance of EFAs. This has been demonstrated in a clinical study, where the daily ingestion of flaxseed oil decreased the endogenous production of GLA.[7]

In common with other oils, hempseed oil provides 9 kcal/g. Compared with other culinary oils it is low in saturated fatty acids.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp_oil
Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.

Last edited by Dr. Smith; 09-11-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: clarification
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (09-14-2013)