View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The person in the newsletter for my area is in her early 80s, which I find inspiring. She has had SS for many years. In the last decade or so, she has had to have dental implants....expensive , etc. With less and less saliva, the teeth are slightly more prone to decay. She has told me, almost screamed at me, that we need, what she calls, A+ quality doctors and dentists. Ironically, I just went through a horrendous situation with a dentist that made an error ( not related to SS).
But, my new friend with SS, has heard many stories and even without an extra concern, sometimes it is hard to find a good dentist, period.
So, I would ask around and get yourself to a good dentist and fast. Get your cleanings twice a year. Be honest with your self, and brush a min. Of twice a day and try to floss nightly. Sure, there are going to be nights you miss, but try to keep them minimum. My friend also advises to use a water pick several times a week, on top of the brushing and nightly (or at least near nightly) flossing. I use Biotene toothpaste most days due to dryness and Act mouthwash (alcohol free with fluoride) most days.
My friend said that contrary to what others advise, she does NOT do fluoride treatments at the dentist because they can worsen a dry mouth and there is some controversy about getting too much fluoride. Now and gain might be ok...but not as often as most dentists would have you do it when they hear you have SS and don't do it if you happen to be having a bad dry mouth day.
Even if your mouth isn't particularly dry now, there is a decent chance it will be at least slightly dry in due time. The lack of saliva just makes one slightly more prone to decay, which can cause cavities and even the loss of teeth....so I would encourage you to ask around, find a good dentist, get a good cleaning and brush/brush/brush!
Hope you get the newsletter! Hang in there!!!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
abbyrition (09-12-2013)