View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexigrl View Post
I called SSA today, to say they were rude would be an understatement.
1. I have been told no extension, has anyone ever gotten one? I'm quite concerned because I've had MS so long now that I don't see a neuro on a regular basis, or an optho etc. I see a GP a few times a year for various issues, and she doesn't specifically treat my M.S. I'm not sure if she would support me (like my last doc did) and won't be home to speak with her. Any thoughts or ideas?
2. I do have access to a monthly income from a family trust if SSA was to take away my benefits. I'm wondering how likely that is. I have been considering trying to return to more full time work (I work from home) to see if I can make more money. If I was to call SSA now and let them know I'm planning to go back to work would they allow me to with the CDR going on? My biggest concern is my Medicare, I live in a state that will have almost no options on Obamacare and can NOT afford to lose my coverage. I understand if the CDR is done and they decide I'm not disabled enough then I will lose it but if I go back to work I can keep it for over 7 years.
I hope that all makes sense - I've asked around and so far no luck in finding out if I could go back to work through SSA after they have already sent the CDR - or if the two things aren't linked somehow.Barri
1. Yes, you can get an extension but they have to be given by somone other than just a rep that you spoke with. You will have to call and make an appointment for a phone interview. That is the only way I know of. There may be another way that I'm not aware of.

They DO NOT like to give them no matter the situation unless it is due to a medical reason such as being in the hospital or not able to travel etc.. but it can be done if you get that phone interview and the person on the other end is in a good mood (99% of it to tell you the truth).

2. Its good that you have access to other money if you was to lose you ssdi. Not many can say that. Your lucky in that way.

I'm glad you are getting better to the point to where you feel you may be able to work full time (or as they call it above SGA). That is very dangerous ground for us disabled people. Treat it as if walking through a field full of hidden explosives because that is what it is like once the TWP starts.

The ssa makes TWP's and the like sound easy. They want us to think it is there for OUR benefit. Dont get me wrong, if a person is indeed able to return to work the TICKET TO WORK or TWP is a wonderful thing but most that do it are not really ready and end up regreting it. I for on was one of them.

NO,.........DO NOT mention anything about going back to work until your CDR is over. Matter of fact I would not even think about starting one until at least a couple of months after the CDR.

If you bring TWP or TICKET up before or during your CDR I PROMISE you it will affect the way the person reviewing you sees you no matter the facts.

BTW, if they find you no longer disabled they do not just stop your benefits right then and there. They give you a few months of checks and even longer with medicare.

Also, not seeing a doctor and or taking meds for long periods of time can and WILL cause you problems during ANY cdr.

Anytime you go for long periods of time without seeing a doc or taking meds you really need to see a therapist during this time. That way it does not look like you just stopped treatment cold turkey and are now considered NOT DISABLED. Seeing a therapist alone can sometimes qualify you approved depending on what you illness is and what the therapist has to say in your file.

Good luck!

Rake
jrctherake is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote