View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 08:03 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Since Alan was in the Pain Group that sat in another corner (about 7 of them), I just asked Alan "what did your pain group talk about?" and he just said 'oh we talked about the various pain killers that most of us have been given, like neurontin, elavil, lyrica, vicodin" Then he said "oh, and this is interesting. I learned that you can have a virus and then come down with neuropathy". (And this just might apply to Alan because many years ago, he was hit with something really hard, had to be hosplitalized with fever of unknown origin, they gave him every test in the book, they put him in isolation, but in 2 weeks, they discharged him and he came home very weak but able to be home. He stayed home and recuperated for 2 months. Frank was a little baby then. I rememember this because Alan got hooked on General Hospital and Luke and Laura.

We never got a name for that virus but Alan thinks it was either MONO or the Epstein Barr Virus.

Now about coping strategies for pain, Yeah, I forgot to mention that also. I forgot a lot of stuff hah??? lol. But I'm remembering it this morning.

I was sitting with the no-pain group and these people do not sleep at night. The majority of this no-pain group had balance problems but occasionally, when they went to bed, they would just lie there and stare at the four walls.
No one said they took any sleep meds. I admitted I take an alprazolam and then I sleep. I said 'you have to sleep"

This is what one of the recommended. Put the radio on or the tv when you go to bed. You then won't concentrate on your feet. She said "when you have nothing going on the room, all you will do is think about your feet, your numbness, etc. If there is something else going on in the room, then you'll be distracted. It's all about distraction.

Another man said to buy a White Noise Machine. My contributios was one of those machines that reproduce water falls, nature chirping. etc.
Then asked me "instead of taking a pill, couldn't you fall asleep to the sounds of a babbling brook"? I answered "if I heard a babbling brook in my bedroom, I'd be up all night". We all laughed.

Lots of good info last night.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote