View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Thanks for the update Melody.

I couldn't make it--had to tutor a nervous student.

I'm glad you were able to spread a little cheer, a little knowledge, adn a lot of muffins. I always wonder about the cookies at these meetings, though--one of my lines at the Cornell Weill Center is "with all the people coming through these offices with diabetic neuropathy, how come there are always so many cookies and so much candy sitting around?"

Part of the reason you are so invaluable at such meetings (beyond muffins) is that you have a great knack for telling a story--AND you can turn people on to websites such as this one. It's been my impression that many of the people who come to these meetings are not aware of the explosion of information to be had on sites like this (at least at first). I'm willing to bet a good number of the people in the room had not heard of Braintalk or Neurotalk or Rose or Cara or Mrs. D or David or Bob or Liza Jane or many of the other people who have set up websites or boards or become experts in so many areas. If they do know, or now know thanks to you, they will have greatly multiplied their support networks and become much more knowledgable about causes, treatments, supplements . . .

I do suspect that many of them are aware of the Neuropathy Association, which sponsors many of these groups, but while the NA website has a good explanation of types of neuropathy, their board and site is more difficult to navigate than many. And it is not the last word on neuroapthy knowledge.

An example of the need for "broadeneing" is the person who told you that nerves cannot regenerate; had I been there, I would have shown her the results of my successive skin biopsies.

I hope to make it to one of those meetings, and emphasize just how much info there is for the learning, and just how many people there are who have this problem and who are willing to engage. How many of them can boast they've learned about Australian Rules Football--and the medical system down under--by interacting with fellow sufferers?
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote