View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member
Senior Member (**Dr Smith is named after a character from Lost in Space, not a medical doctor)

10 yr Member

Hi Chaos,

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
First, I must ask the relationship between RSD/CRPS and CPS. I have read that these are definitly two different things, but when I search for CPS I keep getting RSD results. I'm having a really hard time finding a forum or some relatable stories about CPS. My best guess is that if you have RSD you pretty much have CPS, but not the other way around.
As I understand it, Chronic Pain is defined as pain that persists for more than 3-6 months. Chronic Pain Syndrome (CPS) is a psychosocial disorder that occurs in some patients with (noncancer) Chronic Pain in which symptoms of the pain consume the attention of the patients and becomes incapacitating.

The reason you keep getting RSD results may be that RSD is a term formerly used for CRPS (and is now considered only one type of CRPS). Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic systemic disease characterized by severe pain, swelling, and changes in the skin, and is one form of CPS.

[N.B. CRPS folks—have I got that right?] Yes, it's confusing.

I do not have CRPS. I am a chronic pain patient, however with much effort, I try hard not to allow my pain to consume my life, so I may not have CPS. Diagnoses are sometimes educated guesses/opinions. Whether or not you truly have CPS may be a judgment call/opinion of your doctor—another doctor may or may not concur.

You might try searching the archives for threads/posts about CPS—perhaps in the Chronic Pain forum.

Quote:
I think specific supplements might do better?? Anybody find anything natural that helps with the pain?
I've had some success with adrenal hormone replacement therapy for intractable pain, as written about by Dr. Forest Tennant in The Intractable Pain Patient's Handbook for Survival and other articles by him.

Hope this may help,

Doc

Dr. Smith is NOT a medical doctor. He was a character from LOST IN SPACE.
All opinions expressed are my own. For medical advice/opinion, consult your doctor.
Dr. Smith is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote